793 Predators
89 Prey
liza

Books, Dogs, and Other Blogs

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”

Drums of Autumn
Diana Gabaldon
The Counter-Revolution of 1776: Slave Resistance and the Origins of the United States of America
Gerald Horne
Clued In: How to Keep Customers Coming Back Again and Again (paperback)
Lewis Carbone

Surprising in more ways than one.

Meet Me in Barcelona - Mary Carter

I won a copy of this through Goodreads First Reads, and it was signed by the author.  Very cool.

I'll start by saying I totally had this book pegged wrong.  I thought it would be a fluffy romance type.  Instead it was more of a mystery/psychological thriller.

My first trip to Europe was in July, right after high school, and one of the stops my best friend and I made was Barcelona.  We stayed in a little hostel right off of Las Ramblas, so the description of the city and that area in particular was very nostalgic for me.

The plot had nice pacing, unfolding slowly, revealing clues and hints along the way.  But some of the twists were a little out of left field for me.  I wasn't sure how one thing followed another, or how certain conclusions were made.

The two female main characters were annoyingly neurotic and obsessive.  It was very Woody Allen-esque, and I'm not a fan of Woody Allen.  I know enough neurotic, self obsessed people in real life, I don't particularly like reading about them, unless they're really really well done.  There were some pretty funny parts to this book though, and it made me chuckle a few times.  But the rest of the book was filled with this self loathing and annoying nervousness that was a bit of a turn off.

It didn't feel like work to get to the end of the book, but it wasn't something I did cartwheels about either.  So, a solid three star read.