794 Predators
89 Prey
liza

Books, Dogs, and Other Blogs

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”

Drums of Autumn
Diana Gabaldon
The Counter-Revolution of 1776: Slave Resistance and the Origins of the United States of America
Gerald Horne
Clued In: How to Keep Customers Coming Back Again and Again (paperback)
Lewis Carbone

A twisty, turny cult classic.

A Kiss Before Dying - Otto Penzler, Ira Levin

This book is a debut novel by Ira Levin, written in the 1950s.  It definitely has that 50's sounding tone, the way things are written and worded, and definitely people's attitudes.  If I read this book with my modern perspective, there are quite a few things that I don't like.  There is definitely overt classism happening, and this idea of "marrying up" seems pretty well accepted.  And the portrayal of the well behaved 50's woman is sort of maddening.  The helpless, submissive, dependent woman is not one that inspires me.  I do think that this characterization is more of a critique than anything though, since Levin did go on to write The Stepford Wives.  There were definitely plot twists, that were well done and kept me guessing until the end.  But the overall pace of the book was a bit slower than I'm used to.  Overall, I give this 3 stars, but with a bonus star for the time it was written.  Writers like Levin helped pave the way for modern authors like Gillian Flynn and others who have really embraced the surprise ending and plot twist.

surprised animated GIF