794 Predators
89 Prey
liza

Books, Dogs, and Other Blogs

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”

Drums of Autumn
Diana Gabaldon
The Counter-Revolution of 1776: Slave Resistance and the Origins of the United States of America
Gerald Horne
Clued In: How to Keep Customers Coming Back Again and Again (paperback)
Lewis Carbone

Over promised and under delivered.

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

As a little bit of background, I was a social worker in a hospital oncology department for a couple of years, so this is something that I'm pretty familiar with, and something I'm specifically trained to not let get to me.  So instead of approaching this with an open emotional heart, I'm already quite clinical and reserved about it.  In order to be successful in the job I had, I just sort of had to come to grips with the fact that death is a part of life, and we all have a life cycle.  I think my disconnect with this book was also in part because I felt like the attitudes of Hazel and Augustus sounded more like the kids in my high school philosophy club (wanna be angst ridden philosopher teens) rather than the patients I got to know that really were working through end of life issues and coming to grips with mortality.  The patients I got to know just had such a unique outlook on life, death, dignity and the weight their decisions carried (all of their decisions, any decisions), I had never met people like that before.  It just didn't match up for me.  So this may be a case that I just know a little too much fact to enjoy the story fully.