794 Predators
89 Prey
liza

Books, Dogs, and Other Blogs

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”

Drums of Autumn
Diana Gabaldon
The Counter-Revolution of 1776: Slave Resistance and the Origins of the United States of America
Gerald Horne
Clued In: How to Keep Customers Coming Back Again and Again (paperback)
Lewis Carbone

Meh, just not for me.

The Maze Runner - James Dashner

OK, so I'll start out by saying that this had sort of a sci-fi vibe to me.  Sometimes dystopian stuff feels a bit too techno/scientific for me, and this was sort of along those lines.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just wasn't for me.  I felt there were some cop outs here.

First, I actually tend to enjoy amnesia-related stories.  But I don't like it when the author uses the fact that a character can't remember anything to get around having to tell us things.  Just because the character doesn't know details about the world around him doesn't mean you can slack off on the world building.

Also, no offense to any teenaged boys who might be reading, but there's nothing quite so annoying as immature teenaged boys.  All of the shuck-face name calling got a bit old.

And I was really disappointed in the girl.  The only girl character in the whole book, and we really don't get anything from that.  There was very little character development going on, and in the end I didn't really care anyway.

Worst of all, it's part 1 in a 3 part series.  I've lamented series (serieses, serii) before, and I'll lament again.  Only this time, I will not be bothering with #2 or 3.