796 Predators
89 Prey
liza

Books, Dogs, and Other Blogs

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”

Drums of Autumn
Diana Gabaldon
The Counter-Revolution of 1776: Slave Resistance and the Origins of the United States of America
Gerald Horne
Clued In: How to Keep Customers Coming Back Again and Again (paperback)
Lewis Carbone

A good appetizer for the Outlander main course

Veil of Time - Claire R. McDougall

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I haven't read Outlander yet, but it's very high up on my TBR right now.  I've heard sooooo many good things about it and it seems like such a well done book that most people really enjoy it.  I don't think it's a good move to compare yourself to such a well regarded book in the blurb, if you're not really really going to live up to it.

Both books involve time travel, and Scotland I think.  But that's where the similarities hopefully end.

Let's start with things I liked.  I could tell that the author did a lot of research on the time period (8th Century) and it was really interesting to learn about a time and place that I knew very little about.  And, it was an interesting premise, the whole time travel romance thing, and at least this book showed me that I like the genre.

It's told from three different POVs: present day Maggie, past Maggie, and Fergus (also in the past).  Present day Maggie's voice was so disjoint, so disconnected, it was really hard to relate to her.  It had a removed, dreamlike quality to it.  Past Maggie was a bit more engaging, and the history and imagery were really beautiful.  Fergus's POV made the fewest appearances, but they were the most engaging by far.  So I just had a really hard time engaging with the characters, and really believing in this love story of theirs.  I wanted a lot more from the book, but I guess that's what Outlander will give me.

On a side note, this is book one of a three-part series.