794 Predators
89 Prey
liza

Books, Dogs, and Other Blogs

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”

Drums of Autumn
Diana Gabaldon
The Counter-Revolution of 1776: Slave Resistance and the Origins of the United States of America
Gerald Horne
Clued In: How to Keep Customers Coming Back Again and Again (paperback)
Lewis Carbone
The Ingredients of Love - Nicolas Barreau

I won a copy of this book from Goodreads Firstreads.

Things Iiked:
The descriptions of Paris -- the streets, the food, the scenery, the people -- reminded me of when I was there a few years ago. The imagery at times was really beautiful and gelped to set the scene for what was taking place.
There were some pretty funny bits. A lighthearted, easy read.
There was one scene at the end where Aurelie actually works with food. The way the food is described, the way it makes her feel and the way she handles and respects the ingredients was really touching.

On the down side:
This book was pretty fluffy. I'm tempted to classify it as YA. An easy read is ok, but this was a bit too easy.
Fairly predictable plotline.
Shallow character development and inconsistency in personality. My biggest complaint is that Aurelie is supposed to be an independent 30 year old entrepreneur. But she thinks and acts more like a silly highschool girl than a self sufficient woman.

Overall, the author seems to do a better job with evoking emotion out of scenery, memories, and food thanhe does with the actual characters. But this is a sweet book that I'm sure people would enjoy.