796 Predators
89 Prey
liza

Books, Dogs, and Other Blogs

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”

Drums of Autumn
Diana Gabaldon
The Counter-Revolution of 1776: Slave Resistance and the Origins of the United States of America
Gerald Horne
Clued In: How to Keep Customers Coming Back Again and Again (paperback)
Lewis Carbone
The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards - Kristopher Jansma

I received an advance copy through Goodreads First Reads.

Ok, maybe I'm missing something here that everyone else got, but this book completely missed the mark for me. The premise is certainly interesting: a series of short stories, and even stories within stories, centered around three main characters. The relationship between the characters is the same, but their names and life details change. Sounds appealing enough. Plus one star for a unique premise. Plus one star for somebeautifully told scenes and nice imagery.

With all of these stories, and stories within stories, the author forgets that we should actually be interested in these charcters as people, or at least as characters. I stuggled to connect with any of them for the first third of the book. Was bored in the next third. And completely skimmed the final third just to be done with it already. By the end of the book, starting another new story wasn't interesting or intriguing, it was annoying. Why would I want to hear more about these people that, 200 pages in, I still really don't know? The sad truth is, I didn't want to hear more about them, and it was a bit of a slog to get through.