794 Predators
89 Prey
liza

Books, Dogs, and Other Blogs

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”

Drums of Autumn
Diana Gabaldon
The Counter-Revolution of 1776: Slave Resistance and the Origins of the United States of America
Gerald Horne
Clued In: How to Keep Customers Coming Back Again and Again (paperback)
Lewis Carbone
A Long Long Way - Sebastian Barry

I'm a bit torn about how I feel about the book. I'll preface this by saying that I read the Kindle version, so maybe the formatting is different from the print version. The Kindle version had quite a few formatting errors (spacing between words, missing quotations, line brakes in the middle of a line, etc). Also, there was double spacing between each paragraph, which made things very choppy visually, and I felt broke up the pace of the book. Often times the author would skip from one thought to another without any transition. Paired with the visual choppiness of the formatting, the first half of the book felt like a string of thoughts with no connection.

The saving grace of the book was that it was vividly told, and historically accurate. I happened to be in Flanders, Belgium, while reading this book, so it really brought the book to life. Willie Dunne was a relate-able character, and the story was haunting. But I wasn't a fan of the writing style overall.