793 Predators
89 Prey
liza

Books, Dogs, and Other Blogs

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”

Drums of Autumn
Diana Gabaldon
The Counter-Revolution of 1776: Slave Resistance and the Origins of the United States of America
Gerald Horne
Clued In: How to Keep Customers Coming Back Again and Again (paperback)
Lewis Carbone
Animal Wise: The Thoughts and Emotions of Our Fellow Creatures - Virginia Morell

I received a copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads.

This book was absolutely fabulous! I was so engrossed with the book from the very first page. Morell covers the thoughts and emotions of a wide array of creatures, from ants and fish to the great apes. She gives each one their due respect, and highlights some of the most cutting edge research in the field.

One thing I found particularly interesting was the information on how things have changed regarding science's view toward animals. Morell discusses previous philosophies, ideas and limitations, how things were in the past, and how they are now. It was interesting (and heartbreaking) to hear about how scientists viewed animals as empty vessels, and are now learning that their minds are capable of so much more than they were given credit for.

Each chapter can be read free-standing, so if you're particularly interested in a specific animal, it's possible to read that chapter on its own. But, it made a great read from cover to cover.